Sunday, August 30, 2026

Who does this world want me to be? - A poem about the state of our humanity

We’ve lost ourselves 

Swimming in this red ocean.

The lakes have dried up with the corpses of poisoned fish

And the riverbank overflows with the tears of the desperate.

The sharks patrol the seas

Intimidating their prey, devouring the ones that dare to swim so freely.

What a hopeless life

To navigate helplessly these contaminated waters

Our skin stained and eyes blinded by the blood of those we could not save.

This world wants me to lose myself to a blinding hatred,

To become my enemy.

Or, to submit to a terrifying reality that I am impotent.

What a hopeless life

To be forced to choose between living a fearful life or to kill the sharks,

To wash up on the riverbank, 

Or to surf the waves in blood I don't recognize, 

unable to see where I am going.

Perhaps I am not strong enough to sacrifice a piece of my soul

For the drowning fish,

Or perhaps winning at an evil game 

Feels like a loss far more unbearable than death.

Either way

We’ve lost ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment